The most popular fish is codTHE FACTS ABOUT
which comes from well managed
around Norway, Iceland and the Barents Sea.
· 1 out of every 3 British potatoes are made into chips -
that's approximately 2 million tonnes every year.
· If you laid all the British potatoes that are turned into
chips each year end- to-end they would stretch to the moon and back!
· 8 out of 10 households buy frozen chips each year, so
most of us have a bag in the freezer!
· Each 1kg bag of oven chips is, on average, made from a
weighty 16 medium-sized potatoes.
· A staggering 255 million portions of fish and chips are
sold each year.
· The fish and chip shop market is worth £1.2bn, that
means £1 of every £100 spent on food is spent in a fish and chip
· Top of the takeaways! Fish and chips remain the nation's
favourite, outselling Indian food at a rate of 2:1.
· Given the popularity of the classic British dish, it's no
surprise that across the UK, there are over 10,000 fish and chip shops!
· 10% of the entire British potato crop is needed to supply
all the fish and chip shops.